Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

How to PlastiDip Entire vehicle (cheap method)

how to plastidip entire vehicle cheap method

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#31 OFFLINE   Hedge

Hedge

GMC4x4

• Administrators
  • 6,410 posts
    • Time Online: 65d 10h 5m 42s
Hail The Almighty!
  • Name:Craig
  • LocationUSA
  • Truck(s):'99 Chevy Tahoe
Garage View Garage

Awards Bar:
Users Awards

Posted 27 April 2013 - 03:45 PM

one of my buddys had smooth bedliner applied to the bottom of his rock sliders and textured applied to the top of his sliders.

and incase someone didnt see it in my build, plasti-dip doesnt like a 220 degree pressure washer lol

I was just reading about that!  I actually picked up bedliner about a month or two ago to add to the sliders...I'll be interested to see how well it holds up.

#32 OFFLINE   DonYukon

DonYukon

The Don

• Moderators

• 5,118 posts
    • Time Online: 44d 6h 5m 29s
Hail The Almighty!
  • Name:Donovan
  • LocationBordentown NJ
  • Truck(s):1998 GMC Yukon
Garage View Garage

Awards Bar:
Users Awards

Posted 11 June 2014 - 06:40 PM

Ok a little Update on the Plastidip , its been a rough Year in a half (18 months So far)  and I have to say Im rather Pleased . A lot of people Frequently ask me how the stuff is holding up and to be honest Id say its pretty awesome .  Take into account that I haven't taken the best care of this "paint job" It  impresses me how durable it is .  It has survived Both Offroad trips at Rausch Creek and Wharton State forest with minimal cuts and scratches being that its a rubberized coating and removable . survived  weeks at a time with  NJ salt and mud on it . Ive washed it with the harsh chemicals (bleach white) for white wall tires . 

As of today I have 3 cuts in the dip and 2 section about the size of a finger nail where the dip removed itself . other than that its still holding tight to the body , I peeled a section off today and it came right off ( with a little push)  the paint underneath looked just like it did the day it was laid,  It left no residue behind . After laying a new coat of Dip on one side of the truck I inspected the other , It has some dis coloration and fading but to be honest  It wasn't until I put another coat on it that I relized this . these photos are taken relatively up close .  Im sure if I took better care of it I would see better results but I think I pushed it to its limits . The thing to remember here is that Its a Temporary Paint job , VERY CHEAP and easy to do . 

Onto the photos , I relized now that I Think  I should have laid more coats on it to begin with as you can see my paint is bleeding through a little in the first picture 

Old Coat

IMAG0182_zpsl4t8pmmx.jpg

After 1 coat 

IMAG0181_zpsgjxyvnjr.jpg

Conclusion : If I were to Rate this on a scale of 1-10 Id give it a Solid 9 , Why you ask ? Ill explain

PROS:

The Main Point here is that Plasti-Dip is a Rubberized Coating That can be easily Peeled and Removed in Minutes . Example Do you guys remember that Camo Dipped Green Jetta I posted up a few months ago? Well the Owner decided he wanted another color , Needless to say we Peeled his entire car in 20 minutes or less . the stuff Literally comes off in sheets by panels . Leaving No residue and keeping the paint intact . 

Second Thing to remember is the Cost . You can go crazy with different Colors and Pearls, Glossifiers ,Flake Ect... But Just a Plain Flat Color Rattle can Job can be Done on a Giant SUV like mine for Under $100 dollars , And IMO looks fantastic for the money . You cannot Find another Option that cheap. 

Third  is what it does while its on your vehicle . The Newer Truck owners Really need to Read this : Plastidip Will protect your paint Job and clear coat from everyday wear and tear  , It will prevent some if not all rock chips ,bug tar , Mud , salt , dirt and small tree limbs  from scratching your paint  If I had a new truck with a fancy paint Job this would be On my list to have done  In a heart beat . The insurance alone to protect your paint is invaluable IMHO . I will be dipping my new Chevy Cruze this year before the winter months so the salt here doesn't destroy it 

And Last but not least Is the obvious COLOR CHANGE , Ever wondered what your truck could look like in another color? easy Dip it , Don't like it ? Peel it . Repeat. 

CONS: 

There is not many cons to dip IMHO , but since I want to be fair and be honest nothing is perfect 

-Color choices , I will say that a real Paint Will always look better PERIOD  and real paint offers more color choices. Also real paint won't fade or "peel off" in under a year  unless its mako .

-Plastidip can be enhanced with Glossifiers , Pearl ect... but In the end it will always have a flat looking appearance . 

Image%202-7-16%20at%201.02%20AM_zps8atsk

1998 GMC Yukon 4x4 -- Modded 

1992 GMC Yukon (2 door) -- Daily

#33 OFFLINE   DonYukon

DonYukon

The Don

• Moderators

• 5,118 posts
Hail The Almighty!
  • LocationBordentown NJ
Garage View Garage

Awards Bar:
Users Awards

Posted 11 June 2014 - 06:44 PM

Another thing to add , it appears that Plastidip Has held up better than Regular Enamel Rustoleum Spray paint , My frame is completly Orange again and was painted relatively at the same time 

#34 OFFLINE   Hedge

Hedge

GMC4x4

• Administrators
  • 6,410 posts
Hail The Almighty!
  • LocationUSA
Garage View Garage

Awards Bar:
Users Awards

Posted 12 June 2014 - 08:38 AM

Good additions Don, thanks for adding.

With how unbelievably scratched my Tahoe is from the trails, I've been considering this.  Considering you are now a pro at plasti-dipping vehicles, I may have to take a drive down to NJ for a weekend paint job :ph34r:  :beerslide:

#35 OFFLINE   DonYukon

DonYukon

The Don

• Moderators

• 5,118 posts
Hail The Almighty!
  • LocationBordentown NJ
Garage View Garage

Awards Bar:
Users Awards

Posted 12 June 2014 - 12:02 PM

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

With how unbelievably scratched my Tahoe is from the trails, I've been considering this. Considering you are now a pro at plasti-dipping vehicles, I may have to take a drive down to NJ for a weekend paint job :ph34r: :beerslide:

good I'll paint I won't charge you much , your center console is all

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

#36 OFFLINE   Hedge

Hedge

GMC4x4

• Administrators
  • 6,410 posts
Hail The Almighty!
  • LocationUSA
Garage View Garage

Awards Bar:
Users Awards

Posted 12 June 2014 - 01:24 PM

:lol::lol: :lol::lol:

With how unbelievably scratched my Tahoe is from the trails, I've been considering this. Considering you are now a pro at plasti-dipping vehicles, I may have to take a drive down to NJ for a weekend paint job :ph34r: :beerslide:

good I'll paint I won't charge you much , your center console is all

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

Fantastic, I've had the OEM sitting in storage for awhile...I'm glad I can now give it to a new home!!

#37 OFFLINE   91burb4x4

91burb4x4

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 187 posts
    • Time Online: 55d 3h 51m 32s
Serious Player
  • Name:Joe
  • LocationMontana
  • Truck(s):91 GMC Suburban v1500 SLE 4x4, crate 350, no reverse since June 14'... lol nothing special, just an old school family hauler heading towards a huntin trucks life... 175k & climbing...

94 GMC Suburban, K2500, 7.4L, 480LE, 4:10 gears... etc. "new" family hauler. 210k & climbing on stock motor & tranny.

Posted 12 June 2014 - 01:55 PM

This has me thinking... I think I'm going to do this to my burb, either all black or a dark camo mix. 

#38 OFFLINE   SwampHound

SwampHound

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,111 posts
    • Time Online: 99d 11h 43m 34s
GMC Guru
  • Name:Luke
  • LocationAlabama
  • Truck(s):1997 GMC Yukon 4X4 5.7L, 2001 Chevy Silverado 4.8L 2WD

Awards Bar:
Users Awards

Posted 12 June 2014 - 02:22 PM

Need to get my roof and hood painted so I can do this. Don't think it will stick to rust all that well.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

iKcE4oZ.png

1997 Yukon 4x4 | 6" Superlift + Skyjacker UCA's, 1.5" block + AAL in rear | K&N CAI | LED Interior | 33" Federal Couragi | N-Fab Nerf Bars | Demolded Exterior | 5000k HIDs | Go Industry's Brush Guard | True Dual Straights
2001 Chevy Silverado ECSB, 2WD 4.8L | BONE Stock (For now) | Gas Saver

#39 OFFLINE   npawelkop

npawelkop

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
    • Time Online: 9h 29m 20s
Neutral
  • Name:Nathan Pawelkop
  • LocationUnited States
  • Truck(s):2004 Chevy Tahoe Z71

Posted 14 August 2014 - 10:06 AM

I have been following the guy from www.DipYourCar.com for a while.  Here is an old truck that had rust on it (patina).  They dipped it so that they could work on it at a later date and do a complete restoration.  So rust is not an issue depending on how bad it is.

Edited by npawelkop, 14 August 2014 - 10:07 AM.

2004 Chevy Tahoe Z71 - stock for now

#40 OFFLINE   Hedge

Hedge

GMC4x4

• Administrators
  • 6,410 posts
Hail The Almighty!
  • LocationUSA
Garage View Garage

Awards Bar:
Users Awards

Posted 15 August 2014 - 08:41 AM

I've really been considering this...especially with the excessive pin stripping now covering just about every inch of my truck.

Possible the rims too, they are getting rough looking!

#41 OFFLINE   SwampHound

SwampHound

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,111 posts
    • Time Online: 99d 11h 43m 34s
GMC Guru
  • Name:Luke
  • LocationAlabama
  • Truck(s):1997 GMC Yukon 4X4 5.7L, 2001 Chevy Silverado 4.8L 2WD

Awards Bar:
Users Awards

Posted 15 August 2014 - 09:12 AM

I have been following the guy from www.DipYourCar.com for a while. Here is an old truck that had rust on it (patina). They dipped it so that they could work on it at a later date and do a complete restoration. So rust is not an issue depending on how bad it is.

I saw that video. Cool concept, but I would actually like to see how it looks when they peel it off.

iKcE4oZ.png

1997 Yukon 4x4 | 6" Superlift + Skyjacker UCA's, 1.5" block + AAL in rear | K&N CAI | LED Interior | 33" Federal Couragi | N-Fab Nerf Bars | Demolded Exterior | 5000k HIDs | Go Industry's Brush Guard | True Dual Straights
2001 Chevy Silverado ECSB, 2WD 4.8L | BONE Stock (For now) | Gas Saver

#42 OFFLINE   npawelkop

npawelkop

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
    • Time Online: 9h 29m 20s
Neutral
  • Name:Nathan Pawelkop
  • LocationUnited States
  • Truck(s):2004 Chevy Tahoe Z71

Posted 15 August 2014 - 12:38 PM

From what I understand it doesn't change anything.  If it is just surface rust and you seal it under a layer of rubber then it in theory you have encapsulated it.  If the outside environment can't get to it then nothing should happen.  I am sure if it has already eaten through the metal then the back side could continue to rust away.  I contacted them and they have not followed up with the owner of that truck so no conclusive evidence that it did what they stated it should have done.

Edited by npawelkop, 15 August 2014 - 12:42 PM.

2004 Chevy Tahoe Z71 - stock for now

#43 OFFLINE   neginfluence04

neginfluence04

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 293 posts
    • Time Online: 6d 8h 57m 46s
Serious Player
  • Name:Melvin
  • LocationCentral Oklahoma
  • Truck(s):81 c10 (305) LB
    86 k10 (350)

Posted 10 September 2014 - 02:55 AM

Which color and type did you go with?

Edited by neginfluence04, 10 September 2014 - 02:56 AM.

#44 OFFLINE   neginfluence04

neginfluence04

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 293 posts
    • Time Online: 6d 8h 57m 46s
Serious Player
  • Name:Melvin
  • LocationCentral Oklahoma
  • Truck(s):81 c10 (305) LB
    86 k10 (350)

Posted 12 September 2014 - 04:55 AM

If you had to do it again what color would you go with and would you rattle can it or buy the kit?

#45 OFFLINE   DonYukon

DonYukon

The Don

• Moderators

• 5,118 posts
Hail The Almighty!
  • LocationBordentown NJ
Garage View Garage

Awards Bar:
Users Awards

Posted 12 September 2014 - 03:29 PM

But the kit , it is more money but the finished product is much better IMO , and I' would still do a shade of black

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: how, to, plastidip, entire, vehicle, cheap, method

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users