#1 OFFLINE   Rao318

Rao318

• Premium Member
  • 18 posts
    • Time Online: 23h 24m 30s
Neutral
  • Name:Mike
  • LocationCanada
  • Truck(s):2009 Silverado LT 1500. 5.3L flex V8. Crew cab with short box (69"). Blacked out. Bushwacker pocket style fender flares. Leer fiberglass 700 tonneau. Dual magnaflow exhaust. Currently 275/55/R20 nitto terra grappler tires with 20" Rockstar rims. Upgrading to 6" pro comp lift with 35x12.50 cooper discoverer stt tires with 20x10 rockstar wheels. Adding Nfab side rails with 4 steps. K&N cold air intake.
Garage View Garage

Posted 04 January 2018 - 11:28 AM

Hey guys,

I have an opportunity to swap my 5.3L out of my 09 Silverado 1500 for a LS2 6.0L. I was looking into rebuilding the 6.0L  engine and upgrading the cam to a stage 2. Anyone have experience with this? As in do I need to change my gear ratio? It has the Z71 tranny 6L80. It is also lifted 6" with 35" tires. I know there are a ton of other questions to be asked and looked at but can anyone give me an idea of a cam that would suit a daily driver to produce more power but not be too much to change out gears or deal with stall converters?

Thanks!

#2 OFFLINE   AA1PR

AA1PR

Disabled Overlander

• Moderators

• 11,723 posts
    • Time Online: 94d 23h 29m 57s
Hail The Almighty!
  • LocationFN33
  • Truck(s):2004 GMC Yukon
    1966 Stevens M416 trailer

Awards Bar:
Users Awards

Posted 04 January 2018 - 04:20 PM

nice swap

not sure what else one would need to do, sorry I dont know

2004 GMC Yukon, 4X4 SLT, 5.3L Vortec, ~ Yukon Build Thread
Trail Master 2.5" leveling keys, SkyJacker  Hydro 7000's & MOOG 81069 rear coils with 1.5" spacers,
Hella 700FF's,  Running on 33's BFG TA KO & XRC 12K Comp Winch

1966 Stevens M416 trailer too ~ M416 Build thread

"Now she is gone I got my Yukon"   

ExpeditionNorth.com

#3 OFFLINE   TrailBlazerZ71

TrailBlazerZ71

Advanced Member

• Armed Services
  • 123 posts
Awe Inspiring
  • LocationLas Vegas, NV
  • Truck(s):1998 Chevrolet K1500
    2002 Chevrolet Silverado C2500HD
    2016 Jeep Patriot FDII
Garage View Garage

Posted 11 January 2018 - 01:20 AM

Defining stuff as "stage 1, 2, etc..." doesn't usually tell anyone anything useful.

As far as the actual swap, that depends on what you have stock. Generally speaking, you change axle ratios to compensate for larger tires, not cams and engines. To compensate for that, you want to look into changing the torque converter.
What I generally recommend for engine swap guys is to put the engine in mostly stock, doing only bolt-ons (headers, etc..), make sure your tuning is good and that the setup works with no issues. At that point, see where you want to go from there. I recommend that because these sort of things can nickel and dime you to death, so it's far easier and cheaper to start with a baseline in the vehicle, and to go from there.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Mike

"Though I drive through the valley of the shadow of diesel, I will fear no turbo, for your 

horsepower art with me. Your bore and stroke, they comfort me"

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: cam, upgrades, engine, swap

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users