Sparg93

Troll Hunter

• Premium Member
  • 1,803 posts
    • Time Online: 15h 1m 28s
Listen To This Guy!
  • Name:Craig
  • LocationBoston, MA
  • Truck(s):1999 Chevy Tahoe (Expedition Style)
Garage View Garage

Awards Bar:
Users Awards

Posted 29 October 2012 - 09:08 AM

After quite some time planning and months underneath the truck, we've finally complete our expedition build.

CarDomain on GMC4x4
Youtube Vid on GMC4x4

I've learned tons working on this truck, so I thought I would share what I'm up to with you guys!

I built this truck b/c of a multi-month expedition throughout the US I took starting in March. On this trip, I stopped off at a number of national parks, 4x4 events and was even FEATURED at the Overland Expo in May.

This is an offroad trip, so once we left the east coast, quite a bit of it was offroad.

With this thread, I'll detail the build and then post photos of the trip - hope you all enjoy!!

Here are the plans for the vehicle:
1999 Tahoe 4dr 4x4
IMG_7649.jpg

Truck Parts
14bolt semi float swap
4" IFS RCX Lift
Hydroboost Conversion
Custom fabbed tie rods - FFR Fabrication
HD Ball Joints - Synergy Suspension
Moog HD Pitman/Idler Arm
Pro Comp Extreme AT 285/70R17
Mickey Thompson 17x9
Custom rear bumper w/tire carrier - Do NOT purchase from Tactical Armor Group
Custom torsion bars (33% stiffer) - Sway A Way
Bilstein 5100 shocks (5150's were not valved heavy enough)
Vehicle mounted air compressor
Defender 6.5' roof rack

Samlex Pure Sine 1000w PST Inverter w/remote

Volant CAI
BlackBear Tune
12vot guy custom switch panel - AMAZING!
220amp alternator - Iraggi
x2 KC 130w on ARB Winch bumper
Body Armor (skid plate, frame sliders, tank protector, diff protector)
Larger trans cooler - still searching!
ARB front bumper - fitted by Liquid Iron Industries
ARB fridge - 60 Liter
35 & 55w HIDs w/4hi mod

Recovery Gear
Superwinch Talon 12.5k
Viking Offroad - Synthetic Winchline - A MUST have for IFS rigs
ARB 3" Tree Savers
Pull Pal - RW 14,000 model

Trailer:
LV416 Trailer
30 gallons water
20 gallons fuel
Holds lots of spare parts and equip

As I add more and finish up installs, I will update this first page!

Hydroboost Conversion w/PS Cooler - this is all new AC Delco components (base vehicle k2500)..PS cooler from '97 K3500
IMG_8122.jpg
IMG_8108-1.jpg

This was used to delete variable steering from PS pump - GM #19168825
IMG_7948.jpg

12Voltguy Custom Panel
IMG_8219.jpg
IMG_8220.jpg

Mark VIII Efan - custom wiring setup to engage both speeds automatically
IMG_7279-1.jpg

Volant CAI:
IMG_7282-1.jpg

ProComp Extreme AT 285/70R17
9351.jpg

Iraggi 220 alt - 180amp @ Idle!!!
IMG_8168.jpg

14bsf 6 lug rear w/Blue Torch diff cover - COMPLETELY rebuilt w/Timken Bearings & Tru Trac
IMG_8214.jpg

Updated Fuel Injector Spider
IMG_8212.jpg

Timken Hub Bearing Replacement
IMG_8129.jpg

Manifold Gasket Replacement (clean manifold!)
IMG_8210.jpg

Plenum Gasket
IMG_8211.jpg

Electric Air Horn - 300hz
IMG_7286-1.jpg

Custom Trailer:
IMG_8141-1.jpg

Interior
IMG_8164.jpg

Trailer Bearing Lube
IMG_8163.jpg

As you can imagine, I've also swapped out every fluid (trans, front diff, rear diff, transfer case, oil, coolant)

Edited by Hedge, 16 July 2013 - 07:33 PM.

sparg93_zpsda69f302.gif

Troll Hunter Build Thread - http://www.gmc4x4.co...n-troll-hunter/

GMC4x4 - How To Section - http://www.gmc4x4.co...ow-to-articles/

#2 OFFLINE   Sparg93

Sparg93

Troll Hunter

• Premium Member
  • 1,803 posts
Listen To This Guy!
  • LocationBoston, MA
Garage View Garage

Awards Bar:
Users Awards

Posted 29 October 2012 - 09:09 AM

Some more photos for everyone!

Finished prepping and POR'ing the 14bsf - now I'm waiting for my Wagner severe duty shoes and I'll rebuild the drums and bend up some new brake lines.

before
Posted Image
after
Posted Image

Replaced the Compressor, drier and orifice tube...
Posted Image
Posted Image

After installing the new system, evacuating and filling with refrigerant...the high pressure relief valve went south...and I had to do it all over again!

I also installed a new idler pulley today and fixed my hi beam HIDs!

sparg93_zpsda69f302.gif

#3 OFFLINE   Sparg93

Sparg93

Troll Hunter

• Premium Member
  • 1,803 posts
Listen To This Guy!
  • LocationBoston, MA
Garage View Garage

Awards Bar:
Users Awards

Posted 29 October 2012 - 09:09 AM

Almost done with rebuilding the 14bolt...just finished up new pads and springs...tomorrow I bend and flare new brake pipes!

I bought wagner sever duty shoes for the full float rear., not the semi float I have - for anyone that needs to know, the semi float is a 11.**" rear, the full float is 13.**" So, I ran to Parts Authority in NY and purchased the Centric full brake hardware kit and Pep Boys Platinum shoes. That wasn't my first choice, but it's the best I could find in a pinch.

old:
Posted Image

new:
Posted Image

Today we did some wheelin in the sand...some photos just for fun.

All of us:
Posted Image

Check out this oldie...rebuilt with a 302 and C4 tranny.
Posted Image

Posted Image

Stuck at the top of the hill
Posted Image

Another jeep
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

One of the guys just uploaded this photo...I think it came out great.

Heavy Chevy represent!
Posted Image

sparg93_zpsda69f302.gif

#4 OFFLINE   Sparg93

Sparg93

Troll Hunter

• Premium Member
  • 1,803 posts
Listen To This Guy!
  • LocationBoston, MA
Garage View Garage

Awards Bar:
Users Awards

Posted 29 October 2012 - 09:10 AM

The venerable 14bolt is in and so far so good!! I only ran the truck on jack stands, but tomorrow it's road tested.

Posted Image

The 14bsf mod is a piece of cake if you are retaining the stock springs...but i definitely was slowed down by mine.

This thing looks awesome under the truck! I POR'd it (dont mind the spots i missed) and it looks really clean under the truck.

I also painted the drums and any visible rust on the frame... (this photo was taken before I touched up all the rust)

---------- Post added at 11:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:22 PM ----------

In mine it's going to be a metal box that folds out to reveal a ham radio and 110w power inverter. Nice to know the jack mount comes out so clean.

This mod I'm actually pretty excited about and recommend to folks that if they wheel, copy this!

Posted Image
Posted Image

This is my 100% Cycle Duty VIAIR 450H. If you want to run a tank, they make a pump with an auto shutoff...the "H" is not designed for use with tanks, but with a little ingenuity, it easily could.

We essentially purchased two brackets from Home Depot and with self taping screws, drilled into the body. To reduce vibration when this thing is on, rubber sealing material (roofers use it - see the shiny material on the fender), was placed on parts that have metal to metal contact. You will also see there are rubber grommets on the screws that mount the pump to the black mounting plate.

I also purchased the mounting bracket specifically for this pump and it made installation a piece of cake. You can tug on the pump and it doesn't budge.

From a wiring perspective, this will be wired directly to a relayed switch in our center console. The air line will run from the pump to a quick disconnect that will be mounted on the custom rear bumper.

Also, b/c this rig will go through water, I siliconed the heck out of the parts of the screws that went through the metal interior to the outside.

sparg93_zpsda69f302.gif

#5 OFFLINE   Sparg93

Sparg93

Troll Hunter

• Premium Member
  • 1,803 posts
Listen To This Guy!
  • LocationBoston, MA
Garage View Garage

Awards Bar:
Users Awards

Going out of order a little bit today, but here are pics from the RCX install we completed last month.

The good - fit and finish were solid and directions were spot-on

The bad
- NO WAY CAN YOU INSTALL IN 8hrs - two guys who have done this before on a Tahoe with air tools and a hydraulic lift could not bang this out in 4hrs (2 guys x 4hrs each). My recommendation, start Friday evening and hope you are done by dinner on Sunday...our rigs are not spring puppies, you will run into rusty suspension bolts and some are a beast to remove.

- My front anti sway bar kept banging into my tie rods after install - you will have to seriously consider if you want to remove your front sway bar, b/c bending a tie rod is not an option.

- Order longer brake lines from the front & back; RCX has this ridiculous solution for rebending your brake lines - bad idea - don't do it! I didn't have the lines on me so I carefully rebent the lines and the rubber lines are still fully stretched when my wheel drops all the way...I received my Skyjacker extended brake lines this week and they're going in next week.

Quick tips:
When doing this lift, it's a great time to replace your pitman/idle arm/idler arm bracket. These parts wear on our rigs and you're taking apart the entire front end anyway, so spend the extra hour or two and put in some new hardware. I also recommend replacing your upper & lower ball joints - again, these parts wear and you're taking apart the front end anyway. I do have one precaution though, all of this takes up a lot of time, if you need your rig for work on Monday and you haven't completed this type of work before, don't do it...same the extras for another day so you're not stranded.

This lift requires a LOT of tools. Download their install directions online prior to ordering and make sure you can get your hands on this many tools if you don't already own them. I would also seriously recommend you have an air gun to assist you b/c manually doing all of this would be exhausting and a number of these bolts may be seized from rust. Definitely have a least one friend helping you out...there's a lot of work to be done and an extra set of hands is invaluable; especially for resetting the torsion bars and front differential.

Ok, off my soap box - on to the photos

Here's where we did the install...I got really lucky that someone in my family has a commercial garage attached to their house
Posted Image

First up - new torsion bars from Sway A Way - these are huge compared to OEM and very little preload is needed to set the suspension up. B/c I'm going to have an extra 350lbs off the front (winch + bumper + battery), I decided to try these bars as they are much stiffer then OEM.

Posted Image
Posted Image

These tie rod ends are leagues ahead of OEM and I seriously recommend them for anyone that offroads

Posted Image
Posted Image

For anyone running the np246 transfer case (it has the Auto 4wd pushbutton), you will need to order the custom driveshaft from RCX - if you don't, you will have vibrations while engaged in 4wd. I was a little skeptical of what RCX was going to send, but I have to say, this front driveshaft is incredibly well made. It's perfectly balanced and a serious beast of a driveshaft with a high end joint that allows greater articulation

Posted Image

Also, for folks with rear sway bars (4dr Tahoes + Subs), you will need the longer drop down links for your rear anti sway bar.

Most IFS lift require cutting/grinding/etc - the Tahoe going under the knife by one of the guys helping out
Posted Image

Keep a rattle can available and you can make most of your old rusty parts look pretty new; I also painted the frame and IMO, it looks great
Posted Image

Shot of the IFS completed!
Posted Image

In terms of overall lift, I'm up 4.5" in the rear (Alcan Springs - no blocks), and about 5" up in the front. I just ordered z71 bump stops and i'm hoping that b/c these are smaller then non-Z71 rigs, I can lower the front 0.5".

Once the new bump stops are in, I'll take a photo on level ground to show everyone the new stance!

sparg93_zpsda69f302.gif

#6 OFFLINE   Sparg93

Sparg93

Troll Hunter

• Premium Member
  • 1,803 posts
Listen To This Guy!
  • LocationBoston, MA
Garage View Garage

Awards Bar:
Users Awards

Ok, tons of photos folks!

Here is the new stance of the rig! 4.5" lifted in the rear (springs, no blocks) and ~5" lift up front. IMHO this stance looks awesome and with a 35" tire, it would look incredible (i have 33's on)

Once the ARB bumper is on with the Superwinch, I'm guessing it will drop ~ 0.5" and sit more level.
Posted Image

Group 34 battery, Sears PLatinum Marine edition - has the same CCA as the auto, but quad terminals on top...I have this as my secondary truck battery and another one in the trailer. The group 34 fits perfectly and has a higher reserve then the group 78's
Posted Image

I got really luck with this part - my 14bsf did not have a tab for the e-brake and Dave (@ Crum's Welding) was installing the rock sliders he built when he made a quick bracket and welded it on...perfect fit
Posted Image
Posted Image

Some photos of the rock sliders. These are amazing and can literally hold the weight of our rigs. If you go this route, one side you can easily bolt on (use Grade 8 hardware), but the other you will have to weld unless you want to drop the tank.
Posted Image
Posted Image

Here is my OEM vs the new Z71 bump stop I purchase from LMC. B/c I'm riding my suspension close to the lower bump stop, the Z71 change for me was perfect
Posted Image
Posted Image

sparg93_zpsda69f302.gif

#7 OFFLINE   Sparg93

Sparg93

Troll Hunter

• Premium Member
  • 1,803 posts
Listen To This Guy!
  • LocationBoston, MA
Garage View Garage

Awards Bar:
Users Awards

Posted 29 October 2012 - 09:11 AM

Some toys came in this week! I called up Viking Offroad a few weeks ago and was lucky enough to grab the owner. I had lots of questions b/c I was still pretty weak on my recovery gear and wasn't sure what to go with. We had a long discussion for the type of rig I had and what I planned on doing with it, my budget and then he put together a sick package for me based on his recommendation.

I had always heard of Viking Offroad's infamous quality and their synthetic cable being the best in the industry...but I was seriously blown away by everything when it came in - it's all top notch. I know a few guys that have run their cable for years and swear by it. Once i use this stuff in the field, I'll def post up some videos.

I went with their 3/8" synthetic line w/thimble (17k lb capacity), 3/8" synthetic extension, 3/4" Van Beast Shackles, Trasharoo, synthetic repair kit and some other odds and ends.

With all of us running IFS (Independent Front Suspensions), one of the big pushes for me upgrading to synthetic winch line was the 30lb savings on my front end; not to mention this stuff is much safer then steel cable.

Posted Image

sparg93_zpsda69f302.gif

#8 OFFLINE   Sparg93

Sparg93

Troll Hunter

• Premium Member
  • 1,803 posts
Listen To This Guy!
  • LocationBoston, MA
Garage View Garage

Awards Bar:
Users Awards

Posted 29 October 2012 - 09:11 AM

Some really good news and updates!

We left NJ @ 4am on the 15th and drove like mad to reach Flagstaff AZ by the 17th...and we made it. We first camped out in St Louis, then in New Mexico. The first leg was really long...we stopped around 2:30am local time as neither of us were in any condition to drive further.

Even though we hauled across many states, the scenery was amazing and the trip was a lot of fun.

Check out our webpage - www.facebook.com/O3Exp - feel free to comment and post away...lots of pics on the site.

I was at about 3k miles on my synthetic oil when I left NJ so I knew I needed an oil change along the way. After sleeping in New Mexico, the gentleman running the KOA site pointed me towards a small town on old Rt 66 that had two auto shops. I went to the first and they did not have full synthetic oil, went to the second, same story. So, I found a Napa store, bought the oil and filter I wanted and drove back to the second shop...and for $15, he changed my oil. Really friendly guys and they let me borrow a wrench to tighten a leaky valve on one of my calipers and even did a quick one over on the truck for me...this town was almost exactly like the movie Cars...very cool experience.

On the road right outside Oklahoma - over the next few days, you WILL see more equipment on this rig. We ran out of time and bought a few boxes of parts with us.
Posted Image
Our first destination was the Overland Expo in Flagstaff. We were a Feature Vehicle there and the ONLY chevy in the group...let alone a Tahoe. The reception to our build was pretty amazing and three guys from other Chevy forums stopped by to check us out!

For anyone thinking of building an Expedition ("Overland") style rig, I highly recommend going to the expo next year.

Enough of my rambling, here are some pics from the Expo

This thing was a monster...it's seriously hard to consider how big this is until you're next to it....but think $500k+ w/bullet proof windows
Posted Image
Posted Image

The actual Land Rover Camel Trophy team truck...they flew the team members and x2 of their rigs to the event
Posted Image

Another GlobalX truck - met the founder, nice guy
Posted Image

The world renowned Turtle Expedition team - very nice couple
Posted Image

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

I have hundreds of more pics & videos I'm hoping to post soon!

sparg93_zpsda69f302.gif

#9 OFFLINE   Sparg93

Sparg93

Troll Hunter

• Premium Member
  • 1,803 posts
Listen To This Guy!
  • LocationBoston, MA
Garage View Garage

Awards Bar:
Users Awards

Posted 29 October 2012 - 09:12 AM

Here are a few photos i think you guys will like

Cinder Hills (the mountains are covered in volcanic pebbles):
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Slept near a volcano
Posted Image

sparg93_zpsda69f302.gif

#10 OFFLINE   Sparg93

Sparg93

Troll Hunter

• Premium Member
  • 1,803 posts
Listen To This Guy!
  • LocationBoston, MA
Garage View Garage

Awards Bar:
Users Awards

Our campsite in Sedona
Posted Image
Posted Image

11.5mile dirt road through the mountains of Sedona
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

A roadrunner after completing a 3.5 trail in AZ
Posted Image

sparg93_zpsda69f302.gif

#11 OFFLINE   Sparg93

Sparg93

Troll Hunter

• Premium Member
  • 1,803 posts
Listen To This Guy!
  • LocationBoston, MA
Garage View Garage

Awards Bar:
Users Awards

the views have been incredible all along the way. I have some parts waiting for me in Tuscon that I have to pick up tomorrow...then I'm camping in the Grand Canyon....I had no idea you can drive the north part of the canyon and camp next to the river!

Another cool photo
Posted Image

We have a great HD video, but it's over 3gb so I can't upload it anywhere!!

sparg93_zpsda69f302.gif

#12 OFFLINE   Sparg93

Sparg93

Troll Hunter

• Premium Member
  • 1,803 posts
Listen To This Guy!
  • LocationBoston, MA
Garage View Garage

Awards Bar:
Users Awards

Posted 29 October 2012 - 09:13 AM

Backside of Mt Lemmon in AZ.

up the hill:

down the hill:

sparg93_zpsda69f302.gif

#13 OFFLINE   Sparg93

Sparg93

Troll Hunter

• Premium Member
  • 1,803 posts
Listen To This Guy!
  • LocationBoston, MA
Garage View Garage

Awards Bar:
Users Awards

Posted 29 October 2012 - 09:13 AM

It's been awhile since I've had wifi access, but I'm hoping to put some big updates together for the last 1.5wk of traveling we did.

Some highlights:
-We parked/camped on the RIM of the Grand Canyon for three days and wheeled/hiked each day (amazing)...check out "Crazy Jug" on the north rim and you will know what i mean
- Slept in the valley of a canyon (high clearance 4x4 only access) two nights ago and the scenery was beyond breathtaking
- Did a bunch 10%+ grades off road with the trailer and it handled like a dream, but we had to shut it down x2 in one day due to engine and tranny temps getting too high
- We've met tons of incredible ppl in the middle of nowhere with some incredible stories (check out Gooseneck State Park in UT), we slept on the edge of the canyon there)

For the next two weeks we're in Moab UT - wheeling, hiking, swimming and possibly sky diving - so check in for some more updates coming soon!!

Some ppl have asked how the rig handles with a suspension lift, tires, armor etc etc. Legally, we've done 75mph with a 2500lb trailer and the truck drives like a dream...minimal vibrations, tracks straight as an arrow and suspension is just how I like it.

We've probably driven close to 500miles purely offroad (some really nasty stuff) and the alignment is still spot on.

Sooo....if you're wondering how a suspension lift will affect your rig....if you replace worn parts, grab a nice set of shocks, run your CV's at a comfortable angle, you can have a really nice handling and SAFE truck. My only gripe is that steering is a little soft after I removed the variable speed sensor so I could run a hydroboost setup...but with close to 9k lb at a steep angle going down a mtn pass, these brakes have been amazing.

sparg93_zpsda69f302.gif

#14 OFFLINE   Sparg93

Sparg93

Troll Hunter

• Premium Member
  • 1,803 posts
Listen To This Guy!
  • LocationBoston, MA
Garage View Garage

Awards Bar:
Users Awards

Posted 29 October 2012 - 09:14 AM

Just finished the White Rim run in Moab - 120miles of offroading through canyons - truly amazing! If you ever want to run this, permits take 6mo - 1yr to grab...but we got lucky and there was a permit available when we showed up there.

Some pics:
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

A car we rescued in the first 2miles of the trip - what was this guy thinking!?!?
Posted Image
Posted Image

sparg93_zpsda69f302.gif

#15 OFFLINE   Sparg93

Sparg93

Troll Hunter

• Premium Member
  • 1,803 posts
Listen To This Guy!
  • LocationBoston, MA
Garage View Garage

Awards Bar:
Users Awards

Posted 29 October 2012 - 09:14 AM

Fins & Things Moab

sparg93_zpsda69f302.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users