Hail The Almighty!
  • Name:Craig
  • LocationUSA
  • Truck(s):'99 Chevy Tahoe
Garage View Garage

Awards Bar:
Users Awards

Posted 01 February 2014 - 04:59 PM

This seems to be a pretty popular topic that comes up when guys discuss how to get rid of that sloppy brake feel.  One sure fire way to do that and dramatically improve your stopping distance is upgrading from the 1/2t vacuum brake system to a 3/4t or 1t hydroboost setup.  At the brake caliper, you are almost doubling the pressure applied at full stop.

As a caveat, if you are going to attempt this modification, I personally recommend you do it with someone that really knows how to turn a wrench and is comfortable with brake systems.  If done incorrectly and the brakes fail, you could seriously injure yourself or someone else.

With regards to the brake calipers, I can personally vouch that on the GMT400 trucks, the 3/4t caliper will bolt up right in place of the 1/2t caliper.  However, you may not need a 3/4t caliper for this modification, but I did use one.

Also, there are numerous write-ups on the web where guys retain the OEM 1/2t power steering pump and do not add a power steering cooler --- they have NO IDEA what they are doing, don't listen to them.  To do this right, you need to match up the correct power steering pump to the correct hydroboost unit.  And unless you live in Alaska or your truck lives life on the highway, I highly recommend you add a power steering cooler.  PS fluid gets VERY hot, add a cooler or you will have premature failure.

If you are taking a used system off of a junk yard truck, be very careful to not let any foreign matter enter the PS pump or hydro unit.  The smallest amount of debris can damage the internal seal of the hydro unit and then it's useless (this repair can be difficult).  As an aside, I personally recommend you use synthetic power steering fluid b/c of it's ability to handle heat better then conventional.  I like Amsoil.

It's like anything else, you can take short cuts but then you'll end up redoing it eventually and taking even more time.

The below part numbers are for a 3/4t setup. 

Power Steering Return Hose - AC Delco 36-368640
Power Steering Pressure Hose - AC Delco 36-365460
Power Steering Pressure Hose - AC Delco 36-365490

Power Steering Pump - AC Delco 36-517137

IMG_7928_zpsc3854fa6.jpg

Master Cylinder - AC Delco 174-722  (new hydro MC vs old vacuum MC )

IMG_8121_zpsa6dfde32.jpg

Hydroboost Unit - AC Delco 178-578

IMG_7929_zps0bb61793.jpg

Variable Bypass - GM #19168825

IMG_7948_zps31ffcdb4.jpg

OEM PS Cooler - 26041420 & 15655032 (gmpartsgiant)

IMG_8105_zps445d2738.jpg

IMG_8108_zps1a109991.jpg

Hydroboost Brake Pedal - #35-3632 (LMC Truck)

IMG_7954_zps72e76307.jpg

Installed

IMG_8122_zps26e49f80.jpg

Here is a great How-To for flushing it - http://www.gmc4x4.co...rdoboost-flush/

#2 OFFLINE   FellowTraveler

FellowTraveler

Knows things for when it hits the fan!

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,637 posts
  • Name:Andreusan
  • LocationNature Coast Florida the lesser known Ozello Keys
  • Truck(s):C2500 Suburban 454 tbi
    K2500 Suburban 6.5 TD Navistar
    & any truck my enemies bring with them that I like!

Awards Bar:
Users Awards

Posted 02 February 2014 - 05:17 AM

Great deals on these systems removed from running trucks at just chevy trucks.

Not meant to jack the topic; "ABS NOTE", your ABS controller must be calibrated to any larger tire diameter and/or gear change or you will never get the best results, it's actually a % change between the stock tire diameter and the newer sized diameter. All calibrations should only be done with tires mounted on vehicle at proper psi for daily driving. I can assure each and everyone of you the difference between an out of calibration ABS controller and a properly calibrated one are like day and night. A good tuner can do the calibration or a device controller like car-code obd2 will get it done and it must be done for best results PERIOD.

I also suggest everyone become educated in negative side of ABS when off road on lose gravel and in powdery snow on improved road surfaces because braking distances are much longer that you might think which could lead to some nasty end results. For me, my system is switched off when off road and in powdery snow situations

Edited by FellowTraveler, 05 August 2014 - 04:19 PM.

#3 OFFLINE   Hedge

Hedge

GMC4x4

• Administrators
  • 6,410 posts
    • Time Online: 65d 10h 5m 42s
Hail The Almighty!
  • LocationUSA
Garage View Garage

Awards Bar:
Users Awards

Posted 02 February 2014 - 02:08 PM

I can attest to the quality of Just Chevy Trucks.  I bought my 14bsf and the hydroboost brake pedal from them and they run a great small business.  They are friendly and very knowledgeable about these trucks and can get you just about anything you need.

Also, it is very true how poorly ABS reacts in situations such as snow and loose gravel.  ABS is great on dry pavement, but once you throw other variables in to the mix a competent driver can easily out perform someone who slams on the brakes and expects their ABS to do all the work.

#4 OFFLINE   Hedge

Hedge

GMC4x4

• Administrators
  • 6,410 posts
Hail The Almighty!
  • LocationUSA
Garage View Garage

Awards Bar:
Users Awards

Posted 26 July 2014 - 07:57 AM

How many other people are considering this conversion?? 

#5 OFFLINE   FellowTraveler

FellowTraveler

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,637 posts

Awards Bar:
Users Awards

Posted 29 July 2014 - 11:08 AM

I see lots of people doing it on other forums. 

Hedge, curious, did you ever re-calibrate your ABS controller for tire diameter/rear change? If not the ABS controller calibration is exactly minus the amount of plus tire diameter and ratio change.

The speedo calibration brings speedo, trans control to where it should be too.

Edited by FellowTraveler, 29 July 2014 - 11:09 AM.

#6 OFFLINE   Hedge

Hedge

GMC4x4

• Administrators
  • 6,410 posts
Hail The Almighty!
  • LocationUSA
Garage View Garage

Awards Bar:
Users Awards

Posted 03 August 2014 - 03:07 PM

I see lots of people doing it on other forums. 

Hedge, curious, did you ever re-calibrate your ABS controller for tire diameter/rear change? If not the ABS controller calibration is exactly minus the amount of plus tire diameter and ratio change.

The speedo calibration brings speedo, trans control to where it should be too.

Yes, I had it calibrated through my Black Bear tune.  I noticed my speedo is about 1.5 mph off from actual (45mph+), but I'm assuming that could be a mix of tire wear + manufacturer stated vs actual.  ABS works pretty good, but I haven't yet pulled the fuse to see if I can outperform it on a dry patch of road.

I'm also finding this mod is taking off.  When I did mine a few years back it was a real pain digging up all the information and any real data.  I still remember it taking me hours to figure out all the correct parts, ordering them and hoping it would all work.

Now with all the info on the net and so many people doing it, it's becoming a bit more common.  HOWEVER, I see people taking the easy way out all the time and its dangerous...guys using two outlet 1/2t PS pumps, no coolers, etc etc.

The guys who run the two outlet PS pumps with a T connector seem to be the most dangerous IMO.

This is a serious mod, do it the right way or don't do it at all!  :soapbox:

#7 OFFLINE   FellowTraveler

FellowTraveler

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,637 posts

Awards Bar:
Users Awards

Posted 05 August 2014 - 04:20 PM

You are right "do it right or don't do it at all."

#8 OFFLINE   Hedge

Hedge

GMC4x4

• Administrators
  • 6,410 posts
Hail The Almighty!
  • LocationUSA
Garage View Garage

Awards Bar:
Users Awards

Posted 06 August 2014 - 09:57 AM

You are right "do it right or don't do it at all."

I'm hoping GMC4x4 will ultimately be a repository of good articles / How-To's with that concept in mind.  Dispel the BS that floats around, identify the appropriate way to do it and share that knowledge.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: hydroboost, hydroboost conversion

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users