• Premium Member
  • 541 posts
    • Time Online: 24d 20h 39m 7s
Serious Player
  • Name:Chris
  • LocationLloydminster, Sask, Canada
  • Truck(s):'94 GMC Sierra K1500 Diesel

Posted 28 August 2013 - 06:47 AM

In this thread I will explain the process of relocating it and then why it should be relocated. 

To start with the process of relocation and the pros/cons of each method.

1st method: Intake mounted heat sink

Initially when this weak point was discovered the aftermarket responded with various kits to move it from the pump to a heat sink bolted to the intake.

Pros:

Moves the pmd to a slightly cooler area

Cons:

Still inside the hot engine bay

2nd method: relocation to inside air box with a heat sink or fan.

Some owners have moved this lil black box to inside their flat panel style air cleaner housings with either a computer fan and/or a heat sink. 

Pros:

This works marganally better then method 1 in that it adds the air flow from the incoming air headed to the filter. As well as adding shielding. 

Cons: 

Same as method 1

3rd Method relocation outside of the bay to either the rad support or bumper.

This is the method I will be explaining in this thread. Like the original 2 methods it adds a heat sink plus moves the box into cooler air, however this is much much cooler air, It takes advantage of the cooling ducts in the Diesel bumper plus uses the bumper as a heat sink itself. 

Pros:
Finally moves the pmd out of the hot engine bay
Much better cooling then the airbox method
Takes advantage of another design feature of the diesel trucks.

Cons:
Possible exposure to moisture, Not a major risk as long as the seals on the weatherpak connectors are still good. and if you are going into deep water deep enough to affect it in this placement you prob should have it well siliconed or in the cab,

Now onto the pics and how to:

This is the pmd it arrived preinstalled on the heat sink, there would be a coiled harness here as well but by the time I took this pic I already had it installed on the truck.

To begin with you remove the right side signal light and you will see a hole in the rad support for the ac lines, thread the harness through this hole as you can see this has already been done.

Then you route the harness to a point it can be plugged into the original pmd plug once again already done. Note: routing will vary depending on if you are redoing a previous relocation or not. In this case the truck used had the air box method done so I had about a foot of extra wire to deal with.

Then route the other end through the cooling hole in the bumper long enough to plug in the new pmd then feed the entire unit through the hole and bolt it to the bumper using one of the license plate mount holes, depending on if you have the mount still or not you may need to use washers.

Reinstall the signal light and you are done, 

Enjoy having to not worry about having to access the pmd on a hot engine again and ease of replacement should the new unit ever fail.

darkridersig3zpsdb2fe95.png

"The welfare of the people has always been the alibi of tyrants, and it provides the further advantage of giving the servants of tyranny a good conscience"

- Albert Camus

#2 OFFLINE   Darkrider

Darkrider

lobo solitario

• Premium Member
  • 541 posts
Serious Player

Posted 28 August 2013 - 06:48 AM

A brief explaination as to why to relocate the pmd/fsd

I bet lol, and forgive me for sounding stupid but is a PDM like a PCM?

Kinda. It controls the Drive By Wire throttle in the truck. Basically if it over heats..no throttle, no fueling really. PMD stands for Pump Mounted Driver. Since when these trucks first came out all the way till the Dmax replaced the Detroit 6.5 The lil black box has been bolted directly to the Injector pump which is right in the center of the V of the engine. Roughly where your thermostat housing would be on a gas small block engine. But it was prone to overheating thus the problems mentioned above. The proper fix is to mount it on a heat sink and relocate it out of the engine bay. Which is what i will be doing once my new PMD and relocation kit arrive. Mounted in this configuration it is refered to as a Fuel Solenoid Driver or FSD for short.

"The welfare of the people has always been the alibi of tyrants, and it provides the further advantage of giving the servants of tyranny a good conscience"

- Albert Camus

#3 OFFLINE   FellowTraveler

FellowTraveler

Knows things for when it hits the fan!

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,637 posts
  • Name:Andreusan
  • LocationNature Coast Florida the lesser known Ozello Keys
  • Truck(s):C2500 Suburban 454 tbi
    K2500 Suburban 6.5 TD Navistar
    & any truck my enemies bring with them that I like!

Awards Bar:
Users Awards

Posted 28 August 2013 - 01:29 PM

If I may, the pump mounted driver (PMD) for the fuel injection was designed to be cooled by the flow of fuel into and out of the injection pump great idea in theory but the flow is so low the cooling is compromised causing failures.

There are flow mods that are done to the filter housing and the feed port to the injection pump that actually helps the original design work better. These days Stanadin has released their grey series PMD w/new gold plated connector harness and a newer hardened injection pump designed to operate w/low sulfur diesel.  I have two (2) remote mounted grey's and the enhanced harness however I'm using an older pump w/modified optic sensor @ -1.87 top dead center offset (TDCO) on top of the 2 degrees advance built into the timing gear drive and one (1) oz of two (2) stroke to one (1) gallon of fuel to lube the fuel system.

I've installed the main PMD/FSD in the pathway to the radiator just above my winch so air is pulled over cooler always. I've found for my use anywhere other than in the airflow to radiator is no good in the tropic sub-tropic or desert heat but ok in colder climates.

Aside possible drive-ability or no run issues a bad PMD/FSD will cause the electronic cruise control on the 6.5 td to act up and not work when everything else seems ok.

Edited by FellowTraveler, 28 August 2013 - 01:36 PM.

#4 OFFLINE   Darkrider

Darkrider

lobo solitario

• Premium Member
  • 541 posts
Serious Player

Posted 28 August 2013 - 02:30 PM

Thanks for the extra info fellow!

Sent from the middle of nowhere

- Albert Camus

#5 OFFLINE   gtomarc

gtomarc

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
    • Time Online: 2h 7m 46s
Neutral
  • Name:Marco Unsen
  • LocationGermany
  • Truck(s):1994 GMC Yukon SLE 4X4 6.5 L DIesel Turbocharged
Garage View Garage

Posted 13 September 2015 - 02:21 PM

This is very helpful as I seem to have the same problem all tho my PMD is already off the pump but still in the engine compartiment. I think it was only relocated as far to the side of the engine bay as this was possible with the original cabel. Also they used an aluminium plate as a heat sink which looks a bit stone age and doesn't really evaquate the nessecary amount of heat in my opinnion. Long story short, since I got the truck I have cut outs, lately pretty frequently even so that I have to get something done about. I will surely have to order a new PMD/FSD somewhere, eventually with a relocation kit. Any clues on where to look and is there any impouvements on the market

Marc

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: how, to, pmdfsd, relocation, on, 65, turbo, diesel

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users