• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 471 posts
    • Time Online: 8d 14h 26m 36s
Serious Player
  • Name:Kev In
  • Location805, CA

Posted 20 July 2013 - 07:16 PM

I just tried to follow a guide off FSC forums to remove/clean the front wheel abs sensors but I'm stuck on step 2!

The guide says to remove the caliper/rotor, then unbolt 2 of the hub bolts which are holding on a dust shield over the abs sensor. The guide writer has a `97 k1500, mine's a `96 k1500...and they're obviously different :(

I broke those bolts loose and backed them out until the heads hit the hub and I cannot get them out or remove the dust shield which is blocking access to unbolt the abs sensor on the drivers side.

The issue I'm trying to resolve is ABS light is on solid, I had it scanned a couple of years ago before the engine/trans went out and I remember them finding a drivers side wheel sensor code. I've read lots of others have issues with crud built up on the sensor that causes ABS problems which they can resolve by removing/wire wheeling to get the crud off/re-assembling with some grease to help seal it a bit.

At this point it looks like I need to remove the hub to gain access to remove this sensor...new hubs are sold with new sensors and new wheel bearings, so it's my idea at this point to just replace the hub?

89 Mustang LX Notchback 14 psi 5.0/trickflow h/c ati procharger intercooled + full MM/Griggs suspension
97 Mustang GT Coupe aluminum DOHC 4.6L/T45 cobra IRS + full MM suspension
02 F150 Harley-Davidson 15 psi 5.4L/4r100

#2 OFFLINE   AA1PR

AA1PR

Disabled Adventurer

• Moderators

• 7,215 posts
    • Time Online: 44d 22h 43m 40s
Hail The Almighty!
  • Name:Mike
  • LocationVermont Mountains
  • Truck(s):2004 GMC Yukon with 1966 Stevens M416 in tow
Garage View Garage

Awards Bar:
Users Awards

Posted 21 July 2013 - 08:26 AM

I have an 04 Yukon & things may be different & I dont honestly know how much it differs from your rig

but I dont have to remove the dust shield to access the ABS sensor, on mine you would have to pull the CV axle nut, the sealed bearing in order just to remove/replace the dust shield which has no effect on the ABS sensor

I thought I had a photo showing where it is but I dont here is the closest I have on my rig its on the back side above the CV axle & located on the spindle, the wire will lead you to it

2013-05-18122202copy.jpg

there was another thread where Craig posted a photo but I cant find it to give you a link

Edited by AA1PR, 21 July 2013 - 08:27 AM.

2004 GMC Yukon, 4X4 SLT, 5.3L Vortec, ~ Yukon Build Thread
Trail Master 2.5" leveling keys, SkyJacker Shocks -upfront, Monroe MA830 Air shocks rear & MOOG rear coils,  EGR 1.25" Fender Flares
Putco Punch grille insert, gamut of Putco chrome accessories, & IPCW chrome/clear Crystal Eyes taillights
N-Fab light bar & Hella 700FF's,  Running on 33's BFG TA KO 

Radio Comm equipped 3.5mhz to 450 (analog& digital modes), Magellan Roadmate 1700 7" GPS & Delorme handheld

1966 Stevens M416 trailer too ~ M416 Build thread

"Now she is gone I got my Yukon" ExpeditionNorth.com

FallBanner.jpg

#3 OFFLINE   blind

blind

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 471 posts
    • Time Online: 8d 14h 26m 36s
Serious Player
  • Name:Kev In
  • Location805, CA

Posted 21 July 2013 - 05:18 PM

unfortunately your setup is completely different

89 Mustang LX Notchback 14 psi 5.0/trickflow h/c ati procharger intercooled + full MM/Griggs suspension
97 Mustang GT Coupe aluminum DOHC 4.6L/T45 cobra IRS + full MM suspension
02 F150 Harley-Davidson 15 psi 5.4L/4r100

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: abs, wheel, sensor, replacement

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users