• LocationPA, Bristol
  • Truck(s):97 Chevy K1500 Z71
    99 Silverado 1500 4x4
    00 Jeep XJ sport
Garage View Garage

Awards Bar:
Users Awards

Posted 23 March 2013 - 09:25 AM

I pulled my steering gear to change the pitman arm, and when I got it back together and started the truck, the steering wheel moves back and forth on its own. I stopped the truck, topped off the fluid resiviour, and it kept doing it. I sat in the driveway idling turning the wheel lock to lock and it kept doing it after a few minutes. The lines are not switched. I checked that and they will only go one way.

Does the system just need more time to purge itself?

"Raise some hell where the blacktop ends!"
Chevy Power!
:flag: :chevrolet:    BUILD THREAD
b167c32a-877f-4b10-a086-8881ecefbccc_zps
"Violence is not always evil. The judicious use of violence and those willing to use it without hesitation is often all that stands between wolves and sheep."

#2 OFFLINE   dvanbramer88

dvanbramer88

Back Road Traveler

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,025 posts
    • Time Online: 29d 23h 35m 37s
Listen To This Guy!
  • Name:Dave
  • LocationPA, Bristol
    99 Silverado 1500 4x4
    00 Jeep XJ sport
Garage View Garage

Awards Bar:
Users Awards

Posted 23 March 2013 - 01:00 PM

Note to self: When you empty your whole power steering system, especially the gear box, It can take upwards of 10-15 minutes of idling in the driveway to completely purge the system and for all weird feelings to go away.

Don't panic like I did.

Chevy Power!
"Violence is not always evil. The judicious use of violence and those willing to use it without hesitation is often all that stands between wolves and sheep."

#3 OFFLINE   BurbanAZ

BurbanAZ

Advanced Member

• Moderators

• 1,218 posts
    • Time Online: 7d 9h 27m 19s
Listen To This Guy!
  • Name:Chris
  • LocationTucson, AZ
  • Truck(s):2004 Toyota 4runner Sport Edition, V8, 4x4
Garage View Garage

Awards Bar:
Users Awards

Posted 23 March 2013 - 01:08 PM

lol yea it takes a while sometimes.  Ill be doing this job soon to replace some seals in the steering gear box.

GMC4x4banner_04_15_13_600x200_zpseb5c991

2004 Toyota 4runner 4x4 Sport, V8 (GM at heart)

#4 OFFLINE   Chevrolado

Chevrolado

CA Beachaholic

• GMC4x4 Team
  • 4,231 posts
Hail The Almighty!
  • LocationRedondo Beach, California
  • Truck(s):1995 Tahoe 4X4 4DR
    2000 Blazer 2DR
Garage View Garage

Awards Bar:
Users Awards

Posted 23 March 2013 - 01:10 PM

Note to self: When you empty your whole power steering system, especially the gear box, It can take upwards of 10-15 minutes of idling in the driveway to completely purge the system and for all weird feelings to go away.

Don't panic like I did.

I would've panicked too. You're not alone.

Glad to hear it worked out!

Posted Image

1995 Chevrolet Tahoe 4X4

2000 Chevrolet S10 Blazer

#5 OFFLINE   dvanbramer88

dvanbramer88

Back Road Traveler

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,025 posts
Listen To This Guy!
  • LocationPA, Bristol
    99 Silverado 1500 4x4
    00 Jeep XJ sport
Garage View Garage

Awards Bar:
Users Awards

Posted 23 March 2013 - 01:24 PM

lol yea it takes a while sometimes.  Ill be doing this job soon to replace some seals in the steering gear box.

Do you know what you're doing or are you looking for some tips? The order in which you do things really makes a difference with this.

Chevy Power!

#6 OFFLINE   dvanbramer88

dvanbramer88

Back Road Traveler

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,025 posts
Listen To This Guy!
  • LocationPA, Bristol
    99 Silverado 1500 4x4
    00 Jeep XJ sport
Garage View Garage

Awards Bar:
Users Awards

Posted 02 August 2013 - 08:18 PM

Can anyone recommend a source of power-steering pumps that doesn't suck?  I got a reman delco unit from rock auto and it's pretty much dead already.  I also want to add a filter and a cooler when I re-do the pump again. 

Chevy Power!

#7 OFFLINE   Chevrolado

Chevrolado

CA Beachaholic

• GMC4x4 Team
  • 4,231 posts
Hail The Almighty!
    2000 Blazer 2DR
Garage View Garage

Awards Bar:
Users Awards

Posted 12 February 2014 - 05:19 PM

I have a question to run along with this....

What if you put TOO MUCH power steering fluid in the reservoir? Can it cause the system to "purge" the excess by seeping out of perfectly good power steering lines at any possible weak point?

I ask because I was getting power steering fluid leaking (only when I was doing something like parallel parking - when I would have to go from one side of the steering lock to the other and back) and it would be dripping some fluid out.

But in general driving... nothing. The level WAS fairly high in the reservoir.. I would venture to say "too high". And now that it's down and registering on the stick in the proper area.. I'm not seeing as much leaking going on.

Any ideas from the peanut gallery? Are my lines going bad, or was it just purging excess fluid?

Posted Image

1995 Chevrolet Tahoe 4X4

#8 OFFLINE   AA1PR

AA1PR

Disabled Adventurer

• Moderators

• 7,300 posts
    • Time Online: 45d 20h 45m 4s
Hail The Almighty!
  • Name:Mike
  • LocationVermont Mountains
  • Truck(s):2004 GMC Yukon with 1966 Stevens M416 in tow
Garage View Garage

Awards Bar:
Users Awards

Posted 12 February 2014 - 05:51 PM

venting the excess it sounds from the peanut gallery here :blink:

2004 GMC Yukon, 4X4 SLT, 5.3L Vortec, ~ Yukon Build Thread
Trail Master 2.5" leveling keys, SkyJacker Shocks -upfront, Monroe MA830 Air shocks rear & MOOG rear coils,  EGR 1.25" Fender Flares
Putco Punch grille insert, gamut of Putco chrome accessories, & IPCW chrome/clear Crystal Eyes taillights
N-Fab light bar & Hella 700FF's,  Running on 33's BFG TA KO 

Radio Comm equipped 3.5mhz to 450 (analog& digital modes), Magellan Roadmate 1700 7" GPS & Delorme handheld

1966 Stevens M416 trailer too ~ M416 Build thread

"Now she is gone I got my Yukon" ExpeditionNorth.com

FallBanner.jpg

#9 OFFLINE   Hedge

Hedge

GMC4x4

• Administrators
  • 4,912 posts
    • Time Online: 58d 5h 58m 14s
Hail The Almighty!
  • Name:Craig
  • LocationUSA
  • Truck(s):'99 Chevy Tahoe
Garage View Garage

Awards Bar:
Users Awards

Posted 12 February 2014 - 06:10 PM

Can anyone recommend a source of power-steering pumps that doesn't suck?  I got a reman delco unit from rock auto and it's pretty much dead already.  I also want to add a filter and a cooler when I re-do the pump again. 

If it's under warranty, AC Delco is great at returns...personally I would just go with them.  There are very few actual manufacturers so unless you are going for a high pressure setup, I would personally just go AC.

Where do you plan on plumbing in a filter?

Coolers are a great option.  For OEM, you have two setups I have comes across.  The fin setup that mounts right behind the grill and the setup that mounts inside the frame.

If you go to the junkyard, you'll find a ton of fin setups on GMT800 trucks and GMT400 1 tons.  The hard part is finding one that isn't rusted badly.

Otherwise, OEM on the fin setup is around $100, but you could go cheaper with aftermarket  ($35) and just build your own brackets.

Is hydroboost or ram-assist steering in your future?  If it is, you can get a head start by purchasing the right higher pressure steering pump now.

#10 OFFLINE   blind

blind

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 471 posts
    • Time Online: 8d 14h 26m 36s
Serious Player
  • Name:Kev In
  • Location805, CA

Posted 13 February 2014 - 03:12 AM

What if you put TOO MUCH power steering fluid in the reservoir? Can it cause the system to "purge" the excess by seeping out of perfectly good power steering lines at any possible weak point?

I ask because I was getting power steering fluid leaking (only when I was doing something like parallel parking - when I would have to go from one side of the steering lock to the other and back) and it would be dripping some fluid out.

But in general driving... nothing. The level WAS fairly high in the reservoir.. I would venture to say "too high". And now that it's down and registering on the stick in the proper area.. I'm not seeing as much leaking going on.

Any ideas from the peanut gallery? Are my lines going bad, or was it just purging excess fluid?

the only way too much fluid would burp out when it heats up is through the cap on the pump, not out of any of the lines. If a line is seeping it's bad, period.

I get some p/s fluid burping out of the cap on my track cars when I am pushing them hard, especially my `97 cobra which has hydroboost (p/s pump powered) brakes. Never any signs of leaking at any point on the lines.

Edited by blind, 13 February 2014 - 03:14 AM.

89 Mustang LX Notchback 14 psi 5.0/trickflow h/c ati procharger intercooled + full MM/Griggs suspension
97 Mustang GT Coupe aluminum DOHC 4.6L/T45 cobra IRS + full MM suspension
02 F150 Harley-Davidson 15 psi 5.4L/4r100

#11 OFFLINE   Chevrolado

Chevrolado

CA Beachaholic

• GMC4x4 Team
  • 4,231 posts
Hail The Almighty!
    2000 Blazer 2DR
Garage View Garage

Awards Bar:
Users Awards

Posted 13 February 2014 - 11:43 AM

the only way too much fluid would burp out when it heats up is through the cap on the pump, not out of any of the lines. If a line is seeping it's bad, period.

I get some p/s fluid burping out of the cap on my track cars when I am pushing them hard, especially my `97 cobra which has hydroboost (p/s pump powered) brakes. Never any signs of leaking at any point on the lines.

Yeah.. I was afraid of that.

Alrighty.. thanks for the info! :)

Posted Image

1995 Chevrolet Tahoe 4X4

#12 OFFLINE   AZBLAZER

AZBLAZER

Advanced Member

• Premium Member
  • 253 posts
    • Time Online: 6d 19h 31m 39s
Showoff
  • Name:MATT
  • LocationARIZONA
  • Truck(s):1994 BLAZER
    1971 C/10 SWB

Posted 13 February 2014 - 05:52 PM

Please replace that hose before it gets worse

#13 OFFLINE   FellowTraveler

FellowTraveler

Knows things when it hits the fan!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,240 posts
    • Time Online: 8d 13h 49m 1s
Listen To This Guy!
  • Name:Andreusan
  • LocationNature Coast Florida

Awards Bar:
Users Awards

Posted 15 February 2014 - 04:03 AM

I use two (2) p/s coolers to protect my investment as mentioned before heat can cause overflow and at the p/s pump it can melt the impellers.

Born in the USA now known as the OBAMA NATION aka; USSA the abomination !

"Freedom & Liberty is reserved for thse who dare"! (A. Colesanti 1995)

#14 OFFLINE   dvanbramer88

dvanbramer88

Back Road Traveler

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,025 posts
Listen To This Guy!
  • LocationPA, Bristol
    99 Silverado 1500 4x4
    00 Jeep XJ sport
Garage View Garage

Awards Bar:
Users Awards

Posted 17 February 2014 - 08:04 PM

If it's under warranty, AC Delco is great at returns...personally I would just go with them.  There are very few actual manufacturers so unless you are going for a high pressure setup, I would personally just go AC.

Coolers are a great option.  For OEM, you have two setups I have comes across.  The fin setup that mounts right behind the grill and the setup that mounts inside the frame.

If you go to the junkyard, you'll find a ton of fin setups on GMT800 trucks and GMT400 1 tons.  The hard part is finding one that isn't rusted badly.

Otherwise, OEM on the fin setup is around $100, but you could go cheaper with aftermarket  ($35) and just build your own brackets.

Is hydroboost or ram-assist steering in your future?  If it is, you can get a head start by purchasing the right higher pressure steering pump now.

I added an aftermarket cooler. It's about 5"x5" fin and plate. I paid about $30 for the whole kit. Been running it almost a year now. I have it plumbed on the return side of the steering system. It's mounted in front of the AC condenser, bottom corner, driver side.

And to follow up on this, I am still running the same AC delco pump. Turns out it had lost the "bleed" or "prime" on its own and was only acting like it was dead. It might of had something to do with the cooler. I read somewhere If you mount the cooler too high above the pump It could happen. But It's been good for months now. Its proven to be a good strong pump when it's bled right..

Edited by dvanbramer88, 17 February 2014 - 08:05 PM.

Chevy Power!

#15 OFFLINE   FellowTraveler

FellowTraveler

Knows things when it hits the fan!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,240 posts
    • Time Online: 8d 13h 49m 1s
Listen To This Guy!
  • Name:Andreusan
  • LocationNature Coast Florida

Awards Bar:
Users Awards

Posted 18 February 2014 - 06:53 AM

I added an aftermarket cooler. It's about 5"x5" fin and plate. I paid about $30 for the whole kit. Been running it almost a year now. I have it plumbed on the return side of the steering system. It's mounted in front of the AC condenser, bottom corner, driver side.

And to follow up on this, I am still running the same AC delco pump. Turns out it had lost the "bleed" or "prime" on its own and was only acting like it was dead. It might of had something to do with the cooler. I read somewhere If you mount the cooler too high above the pump It could happen. But It's been good for months now. Its proven to be a good strong pump when it's bled right..

When an aux cooler is mounted higher than fill port on p/s pump there is drain back when vehicle is not running which then drains out of the fill cap vent then on a restart the remaining p/s fluid is pumped into the cooler and the same thing happens over and over until such time as it drains all the fluid........................................common problem.

Born in the USA now known as the OBAMA NATION aka; USSA the abomination !

"Freedom & Liberty is reserved for thse who dare"! (A. Colesanti 1995)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: power, steering, problems

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users