Hail The Almighty!
  • Name:Craig
  • LocationUSA
  • Truck(s):'99 Chevy Tahoe
Garage View Garage

Awards Bar:
Users Awards

Posted 14 February 2013 - 05:32 PM

Without scanning the internet, who knows the appropriate way to winch a vehicle backwards utilizing a winch mounted on the front of your truck???  For those that do, have you ever completed this in real-life?

#2 OFFLINE   DonYukon

DonYukon

The Don

• Moderators

• 5,118 posts
    • Time Online: 44d 6h 5m 29s
Hail The Almighty!
  • Name:Donovan
  • LocationBordentown NJ
  • Truck(s):1998 GMC Yukon
Garage View Garage

Awards Bar:
Users Awards

Posted 14 February 2013 - 07:00 PM

Ive hear it requires 2 snatchblocks and 2 tree savers, how its done step by step however was explained to me but i couldnt grasp the concept... maybe it was how it was explained to me sent from my vortec powered droid 4 using tapatalk

Image%202-7-16%20at%201.02%20AM_zps8atsk

1998 GMC Yukon 4x4 -- Modded 

1992 GMC Yukon (2 door) -- Daily

#3 OFFLINE   BurbanAZ

BurbanAZ

Advanced Member

• Moderators

• 1,251 posts
    • Time Online: 8d 4h 38m 48s
Listen To This Guy!
  • Name:Chris
  • LocationTucson, AZ
  • Truck(s):2004 Toyota 4runner Sport Edition, V8, 4x4
Garage View Garage

Awards Bar:
Users Awards

Posted 14 February 2013 - 10:33 PM

ive never found the need to, ive always been able to find a way to winch forward.  I heard the same thing Donyukon did though, and ive seen videos on it.  I still can barely wrap my head around how it actually worth though lol.  If it came to something i absolutely had to winch backwards id probably just hand winch with my hi lift, im thinking about hiding a winch in my rear bumper when i make it though.

GMC4x4banner_04_15_13_600x200_zpseb5c991

2004 Toyota 4runner 4x4 Sport, V8 (GM at heart)

#4 OFFLINE   bartonmd

bartonmd

Supporting Vendor

• Supporting Vendor
  • 207 posts
    • Time Online: 5d 3h 46m 5s
Showoff
  • Name:Mike
  • LocationIndy
  • Truck(s):2007 5.3L Trailblazer SWB 4x4 G80 3.42, Radflos, bumper, skids, sliders, QD disconnects
    2002 Chevy 2500HD ECLB 4x4, 6.0L NV4500

Posted 15 February 2013 - 08:20 AM

You can do the snatch 2 blocks in the rear and one in the front thing if you have a bunch of trees around you, in the right directions, at the right distances; or if you think ahead and have your winch on a 2" receiver mount in your front bumper, you just move the winch to the rear and use the extension cord that you also made because you think ahead. Also, if someone else is stuck and you can't get to a place that you can extract them in the direction that they need to be extracted in, you can put your 2" receiver winch in their front or rear receiver, and use the "jumper cable" style clamps that you made, onto their battery, because you thought ahead and didn't set up your winch so that it's perminantly hooked to the front of your vehicle.

Mike

#5 OFFLINE   DonYukon

DonYukon

The Don

• Moderators

• 5,118 posts
    • Time Online: 44d 6h 5m 29s
Hail The Almighty!
  • Name:Donovan
  • LocationBordentown NJ
  • Truck(s):1998 GMC Yukon
Garage View Garage

Awards Bar:
Users Awards

Posted 15 February 2013 - 08:26 AM

or You could Pull a "dead man" lol

Image%202-7-16%20at%201.02%20AM_zps8atsk

1998 GMC Yukon 4x4 -- Modded 

1992 GMC Yukon (2 door) -- Daily

#6 OFFLINE   warrpath4x4

warrpath4x4

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,225 posts
    • Time Online: 45d 3h 38m 6s
GMC Guru
  • Name:shawn
  • LocationElko, NV
  • Truck(s):1972 K5, 350/TH350/NP205, 44/12, 285/75/16.

1984 stepside, 383 stroker, TH400/NP205, 3/4 ton axles, 4" lift, 35" tires
Garage View Garage

Awards Bar:
Users Awards

Posted 15 February 2013 - 10:51 AM

You can do the snatch 2 blocks in the rear and one in the front thing if you have a bunch of trees around you, in the right directions, at the right distances; or if you think ahead and have your winch on a 2" receiver mount in your front bumper, you just move the winch to the rear and use the extension cord that you also made because you think ahead. Also, if someone else is stuck and you can't get to a place that you can extract them in the direction that they need to be extracted in, you can put your 2" receiver winch in their front or rear receiver, and use the "jumper cable" style clamps that you made, onto their battery, because you thought ahead and didn't set up your winch so that it's perminantly hooked to the front of your vehicle.

Mike

i dont like this for the simple fact you have your winch hanging clear out there un-protected and lowering you approach/departure angles. and then once you are stuck your lugging about 150 pounds to the back of your rig possibly in deep thick mud.

i prefer winch front/rear built into the bumpers

http://wanderingwarr...s.blogspot.com/

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.

Abraham Lincoln

#7 OFFLINE   Chevrolado

Chevrolado

CA Beachaholic

• GMC4x4 Team
  • 5,405 posts
Hail The Almighty!
  • Name:Dave
  • LocationTorrance, CA
  • Truck(s):1977 Chevrolet K10
    2001 Toyota 4Runner
    2011 Mazda CX-9
Garage View Garage

Awards Bar:
Users Awards

Posted 15 February 2013 - 12:10 PM

I could use ANY winching how-to's would be beneficial. Frontward, backward, sideways.. Everything. I will be watching this thread.. :) Everyone speak up. hah.

Edited by Chevrolado, 15 February 2013 - 12:10 PM.

20122413722_64eb9c6b70_n.jpg 

I daily drive a Toyota 4Runner but I also play with Chevy's..

#8 OFFLINE   bartonmd

bartonmd

Supporting Vendor

• Supporting Vendor
  • 207 posts
Showoff
  • LocationIndy
  • Truck(s):2007 5.3L Trailblazer SWB 4x4 G80 3.42, Radflos, bumper, skids, sliders, QD disconnects

Posted 15 February 2013 - 12:29 PM

Mike

i dont like this for the simple fact you have your winch hanging clear out there un-protected and lowering you approach/departure angles. and then once you are stuck your lugging about 150 pounds to the back of your rig possibly in deep thick mud.

i prefer winch front/rear built into the bumpers

Well yeah, obvously 2 winches are better than only having one and moving it around, or using pulleys to pull yourself in a way that it wasn't designed to do. That wasn't the question, though.

I am interested in what you mean by unprotected? There is the same 1/4" plate in front of the whole winch, like there is inside a winch bumper, and there's the same 1/4" plate completely covering the bottom of the winch, like there is in a winch bumper. The top is unprotected, the same as most winch bumpers. With our platform, a winch bumper with a completely enclosed winch is worse for approach angle than a receiver winch (at least without cutting out the crossmember where the airbag sensors are mounted), due to us not having enough room between the top of the frame and the bottom of the grille, and having to do the winch box in front of the crossmember. Now, with a 3" body lift, there's a little more leway, but it's close either way. It is unprotected, I guess, from the sides, but since the mount goes out farther than the sides of the winch, it would have to be a knot or branch sticking out the side of a tree, and you'd have to slide sideways into it, at the perfect height. Frankly, it hasn't been a problem.

A winch with synthetic line, on a 2" receiver mount weighs around 80#, and even with you having 2 fixed winches, that doesn't help the guy who you can't get around to pull him the right direction.

Also, on our particular platform, there is little to no loss in approach angle, especially with a hawse fairlead and synthetic, vs. the roller fairlead shown. Of course, the lower front corner of the bumper is ~1.5" out from the end of the framerail, at the height of the bottom of the framerail, and the radiator skid is as tight as it can possibly be, and still leave the stock PS cooler in its stock location. I guess if the manufacturer is making a bumper more for looks than ground clearance and approach angle, and has a bumper that goes lower than the framerail, and sticks out 8" even without a winch box in it, it could be a real issue. However, I'm an Engineer, and as such, if either looks or function has to sacrifice, I'll sacrifice looks every time.

IMAG0681.jpg

#9 OFFLINE   warrpath4x4

warrpath4x4

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,225 posts
    • Time Online: 45d 3h 38m 6s
GMC Guru
  • Name:shawn
  • LocationElko, NV
  • Truck(s):1972 K5, 350/TH350/NP205, 44/12, 285/75/16.

1984 stepside, 383 stroker, TH400/NP205, 3/4 ton axles, 4" lift, 35" tires
Garage View Garage

Awards Bar:
Users Awards

Posted 15 February 2013 - 03:47 PM

how is there not a difference in departure angle (just from your pic)

IMAG0681_zpsf46837b5.jpg

your mount may be different but what protection is there here? and i doubt that is 1/4 inch

curt_winch_mount_zps2130a2e4.jpg

this has some side protection i guess, but its more just handles

11137713_zps45acf040.jpg

i have seen a couple of those detachable mounts where they have bent the square tubing from the sheer force of the pull at an odd angle and from dropping off a ledge and smacking the mount. if you drop off a ledge and smack the bumper with the winch mounted inside of it, its a really bad bumper if you bend it.

WITHOUT cutting the trim pieces here are 2 winch bumpers with decent approach angles and the winch is protected.

blocanyoncoloradowi0412_zps8a2e4ddd.jpg

CIMG7680_zps6cc8f7b3.jpg

the pic you posted, if you took the winch and moved it back and up into the bumper it would be protected and better angles. but no then you couldnt move it to the back of the truck. also the control boxes can be remote mounted which then your winch would take up less space to fit behind a bumper.

Edited by warrpath4x4, 15 February 2013 - 03:48 PM.

http://wanderingwarr...s.blogspot.com/

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.

Abraham Lincoln

#10 OFFLINE   bartonmd

bartonmd

Supporting Vendor

• Supporting Vendor
  • 207 posts
Showoff
  • LocationIndy

Posted 15 February 2013 - 04:40 PM

how is there not a difference in departure angle (just from your pic)

IMAG0681_zpsf46837b5.jpg

your mount may be different but what protection is there here? and i doubt that is 1/4 inch

curt_winch_mount_zps2130a2e4.jpg

this has some side protection i guess, but its more just handles

11137713_zps45acf040.jpg

i have seen a couple of those detachable mounts where they have bent the square tubing from the sheer force of the pull at an odd angle and from dropping off a ledge and smacking the mount. if you drop off a ledge and smack the bumper with the winch mounted inside of it, its a really bad bumper if you bend it.

WITHOUT cutting the trim pieces here are 2 winch bumpers with decent approach angles and the winch is protected.

blocanyoncoloradowi0412_zps8a2e4ddd.jpg

CIMG7680_zps6cc8f7b3.jpg

the pic you posted, if you took the winch and moved it back and up into the bumper it would be protected and better angles. but no then you couldnt move it to the back of the truck. also the control boxes can be remote mounted which then your winch would take up less space to fit behind a bumper.

Cameras, especially cell-phone cameras with small lenses, distort an image. Since we're looking at the side/rear of the winch mount, that's actually not realistic, either, because the center/front of the winch mount is where the 45-degree angle on the tube is cut. What's worse than that, is your line is from the tire that's really close to you, vs. the other things that aren't. The blue line is doing exactly what you did, but from the far tire. The yellow line is more realistic, though there really isn't a realistic line from this particular picture. The radiator is the approach angle limit for my standard bumpers on the TB. Yes, as I said, the roller fairlead does cut it down a little bit, but the hawse fairlead doesn't cut it down any, from the mount, itself.

IMAG0681_zpsf46837b5.jpg

My mount is different. All made of 1/4", including the 2x2x1/4 tube that's boxed at the ends. I've got a double receiver on my CTD, and I've had the trailer backed in at 60-70 degrees to get a broken truck with flat tires, that was sunk in the mud. The 10k Smittybilt was || this close to stalling on the second wrap of cable from the drum, and the mount is fine. I can see that happening on the 2x2x10ga mounts that you can buy, but not mine.

The first vehicle is a colorado, and while they are similarly sized, the frames are not at all alike. This is the closest I could get a winch inside a bumper on a non-body-lifted TB (FWIW, the TAG/KMA bumper is similar to this, but it sticks out a little bit more, and a little bit lower):

IMAG0355.jpg

That sticks out a little farther than this one, where the winch is on top of the frame, and not totally protected. (the 3" circle near the end of the frame rails is the tube crossmember I'm talking about that goes all the way across, and limits this platform, as far as internal winch mounting)

IMAG0141.jpg

I did a center section for somebody, that's kind of like your second picture, but the winch is more protected by my 2" receiver mount than in that bumper, as far as getting a stick or whatever jammed between the plate and the bottom of the motor, and breaking the housing, or whatever. Because it's really unprotected here, and not "in" the bumper, that's not what I was talking about. This one is as close as you could possibly get a winch on a non-BL TB, and it requires remote mounting the solenoid.

IMAG0557.jpg

Now, the TB I show above is Hardtrailz' TB, and it has a 3" body lift. As I said, the body lifted TB does have the room for a semi-protected winch without any loss of approach angle, like so:

2" BL

IMG_0113.jpg

3" BL

M1570007.jpg

Here is a little better picture of the way I make them. This is my TB:

IMAG0684.jpg

And yes, the receiver height with or without a body lift is the same, and the body lift bumper just goes up farther. It's always right below the top of the frame, mounted in the bumper like this (bumper is up-side-down on the table):

IMAG0894-1.jpg

#11 OFFLINE   Sparg93

Sparg93

Troll Hunter

• Premium Member
  • 1,803 posts
    • Time Online: 15h 1m 28s
Listen To This Guy!
  • Name:Craig
  • LocationBoston, MA
  • Truck(s):1999 Chevy Tahoe (Expedition Style)
Garage View Garage

Awards Bar:
Users Awards

Posted 06 April 2013 - 12:25 PM

Nice pics Barton.

Some guys like receiver mounted winches, others don't...IMO, it depends on the type of wheeling you do and your truck b/c there are pros/cons of permanent and receiver.  I prefer permanent upfront b/c of decreased approach angle and chance for damage from receiver mounted b/c of the type of wheeling I do.  For rear extraction, I keep a manual winch or if there are enough trees, I could always reverse power winch...but that takes more time then setting up a manual in certain situations.

To properly reverse winch, here's what I would (similar to Barton)

- One strap up front on tree (w/pulley)

- Two straps in the rear (one pulley one terminates)

- Pulley mounted to rear receiver on vehicle

If I remember next time I'm in the woods, I'll make a video!

sparg93_zpsda69f302.gif

Troll Hunter Build Thread - http://www.gmc4x4.co...n-troll-hunter/

GMC4x4 - How To Section - http://www.gmc4x4.co...ow-to-articles/

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: reverse, winch, know, how

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users